Enemy Pie

Enemy Pie

Author: Derek Munson                                  Illustrator: Tara Calahan King

There was a neighbourhood kid who likes to hang out in his treehouse.  During the summer, his dad helped him built a treehouse. His sister was at camp for three weeks. But there’s something that has been bothering him. Jeremy Ross, his worse enemy moved into his neighbourhood. Every day he lost a baseball game, Jeremy Ross always laughs at him. He was mostly being very mean at him. He once had a trampoline party, and everyone in the neighbourhood is invited to his trampoline party. Expect for the kid. He asked his dad ‘he wants to get rid of his enemy.’ His dad knows a lot about enemies. His dad said, “I know a lot about enemies. The best way to get rid of your enemy is to make an enemy pie.” “Enemy pie?” The kid replied. “Yes. Enemy pie.” His dad replied. The first time the kid heard the word ‘enemy pie’ was to make Jeremy eat the pie and very bad things will happen to him. His dad also said, “the way that enemy pie works are that you have to hang out with your enemy for at least one day. And finally, at dinner, your enemy will eat the enemy pie.” The kid didn’t want to hang out with his enemy at all, but if he wants to get rid of his enemy he has no choice. The kid knocked on Jeremy’s door and said, “do you wanna play together?” Jeremy was very surprised to see the kid at the door but anyway Jeremy replied, “sure, I will ask my mom.” Jeremy’s mom said yes and they played together. They have been playing with each other until dinner time. Jeremy was having dinner at the kid’s house. They had a good meal, then they will have the enemy pie for dessert. The kid felt that Jeremy was beginning to become his friend so he didn’t want him to eat the enemy pie. The kid said, “DON’T EAT THAT!!! Bad things will happen to you like your hair will fall off.” Jeremy replied, “if bad things happen to you then why has your dad eaten half of it already?” The kid realized that the enemy pie wasn’t poisonous at all. They all ate the pie together. Finally, they hang out with each other until bedtime.

I think this book is for age 4-8. (Preschool-Grade 3) I think it’s for these kinds of kids because they mostly don’t know how to handle enemies. The book also has many pictures and fewer words so I think it is too easy for middle and high school students. 

I would rate this book 7/10 because  the book could teach you how to make your enemy your friend.